Tuesday, April 7

Refreshment Challenge

*adapted from The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained by Lysa Terkeurst

"A special tradition in our home is an afternoon treat. My kids and I love fresh baked cookies, chewy brownies, and other concoctions of all kinds. Sometimes we eat apples, oranges or some other snack from the healthier regions of the food pyramid, but mostly we like a sweet treat....
If these little treats made me so happy as a child, why do they have to stop? Why is it that I sometimes think motherhood is all about what I do for others and never stop to think of the wonderful benefits of treating myself? I can see the church lady from the depths of my religious background jumping out with a finger wagging. "Don't be so worldy! Pull out your Bible and read a verse or two.....
If you are feeling really weary, sing a verse or two of "It is well with my soul," and stop thinking of yourself.....
I whisper back to her, "If you are so into giving these days, I'd gladly let you watch my kids, run their carpools, and clean and cook for me while I go sit in the tub and sing hymns and reflect on spiritual insights."......:)
The next time you are drained, put a little care package together for yourself and thank God for His sweet treats. Gum, chocolate, CD, Coffee, Candle.......
Be refreshed, my friend. Put together a little care package of happy things for yourself. Put something on your calendar to look forward to, and don't save your best for last. Enjoy now!"

Psalm 33:13-22

Today's challenge is two part. Spend some time this afternoon and treat your kiddos with something unexpected. Make some time for yourself. Create a care package!

No comments:

Post a Comment